A language of West Semitic origins, culturally considered to be the language of the Jewish people. Ancient or Classical Hebrew is the language of Jewish prayer or study. Modern Hebrew was developed in the late-19th and early 20th centuries as a revival language; today it is spoken by most Israelis.
Updated May 2012
We speak frequently on intermarriage and outreach issues at conferences and Jewish organizations. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in having us speak. Our speaking engagements include:
- May 2012 Panelist for an interfaith conversation about different religions' views of intermarriage, hosted by the Winnetka Interfaith Council, Winnetka, IL
- April 20-22, 2012 Panelist at the International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism's Colloquium 2012 on the theme "'Half Jewish?' The Heirs of Intermarriage," in Chicago, IL
- April 2, 2012 Speaker for the Grandparent's Circle at Temple Emanuel, Newton, MA
- March 26-28, 2012 Presenters on identity and advocacy among the interfaith community (two sessions, "NextGen in the Shark Tank" and "Navigating Jewish Identity And Advocating for Inclusive Communities") at TribeFest, Las Vegas
- March 10, 2012 Training on "Working with Interfaith Families in Your Community," for rabbinic students from Hebrew Union College and the Jewish Theological Seminary, part of the Schusterman Rabbinic Fellowship, at Congregation Emanu-El in San Francisco, CA
- January 13-16, 2012 Presenter of "Where Do We Stand? Interfaith Families and the Jewish Community," an interactive session at LimmudNY, Catskills, NY
- December 4, 2011 Presenters on "Where do we stand? Interfaith Families and the Jewish Community" at Limmud Boston, hosted at Congregation Mishkan Tefila, Chestnut Hill, MA
- November 21, 2011 Teaching "Jewish Life Cycle Rituals," part of an Introduction to Judaism course at Congregation Sherith Israel in San Francisco, CA
- June 15-16 2011 Training on "Welcoming and Engaging Interfaith Familes," for rabbinic students from Hebrew Union College and the Jewish Theological Seminary, part of the Schusterman Rabbinic Fellowship, in Philadelphia, PA
- April 5 2011 Speaker on "Reaching Out to Interfaith Families in our Preschools" at the Meeting of Early Childhood Educators for the Jewish Community Federation of the East Bay, in Oakland, CA
- March 6-8, 2011 Presenter of "Where Do We Stand? Interfaith Families and the Jewish Community," an interactive session at TribeFest, Las Vegas
- February 10, 2011 Speaker on "Talking to Young Children about Holiness," for Baruch Haba (Young Parents Group) of The Congregation Emanu-El in San Francisco, CA
- February 9, 2011 Panelist for "Interfaith: Is there Faith in Interfaith," at the World Union for Progressive Judaism Conference in San Francisco, CA
- January 25, 2011 Speaker at "Tools for Engaging Interfaith Families," for the National Association of Jewish Education Specialists, a phone-in conference
- December 20, 2010 Speaker on "Judaism's Secret Guide to Raising Jewish Children," part of the Adult Education Series at Peninsula Temple Beth El in San Mateo, CA
- November 2010 Presented "Can we Encourage In-marriage and Welcome Interfaith Families?" at the General Assembly of the Jewish Federations of North America.
- November 16, 2010 Speaker on "Enhancing Jewish Life and Jewish Learning" for the Jewish Early Childhood Initiative, in Palo Alto, CA
- October 28, 2010 Panel discussion facilitator on "Celebrating InterfaithFamily.com West Coast" at the San Francisco Jewish Community Center
- October 10, 2010 Panelist speaking on "Celebrating Conversion: Respect, Beauty and Joy" at the Mayyim Hayyim Conference in Newton, MA
- December 2009 Speaker at Temple Emanu-El in Marblehead, MA
- January 2009 Presented several sessions at LimmudNY in the Catskills, NY
- December 2008 Presented training for BBYO regional directors in New England
- December 2008 Speaker on topics pertaining to interfaith relationships and families with the Israeli Amitim of the Bronfman Youth Fellowship in Israel in New York, NY
- November 2008 Presented several sessions at Limmud Stockholm in Sweden
- October 2008 Presented for both the PJ Libraries facilitators and at PEJE
- August 2008 Panelist at the Wexner Graduate Fellows Summer Institute
- April 13, 2008 Presented Both Sides of the Family, a film and discussion about interfaith relationship issues in Boston, MA
- April 2008 Speaker on topics pertaining to interfaith families in our synagogues at Beth David Reform Congregation in Gladwyne, PA
- October 2007 Speaker on intermarriage issues at Washington Hebrew Congregation in Washington, DC and at Kol Haverim in Glastonbury, CT
- October 2007 Presenter on outreach lessons from the Boston community at the Jewish Outreach Institute annual conference in Washington, DC
- August 2007 Speaker on interfaith issues at Bnai Amoona in St. Louis, MO
- August 2007 Presented at the diversity symposium at the CAJE conference
- July 2007 Speaker on intermarriage issues at Bnai Torah in Trumbull, CT
- March 25, 2007 Speaker on recent intermarriage research and parenting workshop facilitator at the Interfaith Family Weekend and Conference in Philadelphia, PA
- February 9, 2007 Speaker at the opening event for the Center for Jewish Interfaith and Outreach for the North Shore Boston area, housed at Congregation Shirat Hayam in Swampscott, MA.
- January 16, 2007 Speaker on the needs and concerns of interfaith families sending their children to Jewish day schools at the annual leadership conference of RAVSAK (the association of Jewish community day schools) in Los Angeles, CA
- April 2006 Speaker at the 20th anniversary celebration of Interfaith Connection of the JCC of San Francisco, CA
- January 2006 Presenter of "The Seven Deadly — and Dead Wrong — Attitudes Jews Have About Intermarriage" at Congregation Emanu-El in San Francisco, CA
- December 3, 2005 Guest speaker on "The Seven Deadly--and Dead Wrong--Attitudes Jews Have About Intermarriage" at Congregation B'nai B'rith in Santa Barbara, CA
- November 14, 2005 Panelist speaking on inclusivity in the Jewish community at the United Jewish Communities General Assembly in Toronto
- November 11, 2005 Guest teacher at Brandeis University, Hornstein Program class on planning taught by Susan Shevitz
- October 28, 2005 Guest speaker on "The Seven Deadly--and Dead Wrong--Attitudes Jews Have About Intermarriage" at Temple Beth Elohim in Wellesley, MA
- October 12, 2005 Guest teacher at Hebrew College class on the American Jewish Community taught by Martin Abramowitz.
- July 25, 2005 Guest speaker, with Brandeis professor Sylvia Barack Fishman, to the Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland's new committee on services to interfaith families
- June 23, 2005 Panelist at American Jewish Publishers Association, Boston, MA
- March 15-16, 2005 Participate in consultation on Hillel's response to children of interfaith parents at Hillel, Washington DC
March 3, 2005 Respondent to presentation by Steven Bayme, "Intermarriage and Jewish Leadership: What Can We Do? What Should We Do?" Boston, MA
- December 8, 2004 Panel presentation at the Washington DC Jewish Film Festival showing of Mixed Blessings with filmmaker Jennifer Kaplan and Marion Usher
- November 7, 2004 Keynote speaker at "All in the Jewish Family" conference sponsored by Pathways, a program of the United Jewish Communities of Metrowest NJ directed by Lynne Wolfe
- October 17, 2004 Panelist at "Strengthening the Bonds: Interfaith Families at Home and in the Community," sponsored by Faithways: Interfaith Family Support Network of the Jewish Family and Children's Service of Greater Philadelphia PA directed by Merle Berman
- June 2004 Panelist at United Jewish Communities' Hadesh West, Los Angeles, CA
- June 2004 Panelist at Jewish Outreach Institute national conference, Boston MA
- November 2002 Panelist at United Jewish Communities' General Assembly on the Reaching Out: An Intergenerational Forum panel
The InterfaithFamily.com Network's media appearances include:
- April 6, 2012 Featured in the Winnetka Patch's article "With Interfaith Marriages on the Rise, Families Utilize Support Networks"
- December 2011 Featured in the Chicago Tribune's article "Group teaches interfaith families Jewish traditions"
- December 2010 Featured in the Washington Jewish Week's coverage of the premier of the film Love and Religion, part of the Washington Jewish Film Festival
- December 23, 2005 PBS Religion & Ethics Newsweekly TV Show, Interfaith Holiday Traditions segment on December 23, 2005
- December 15, 2008 CN8's Nitebeat, the Comcast Network's New England news and current events TV show, segment with Sara Edwards on the December holidays and interfaith families
- February 11, 2007 Featured in "Beyond the Pale," a Jewish-interest show on radio WBAI of New York
- February 9, 2007 Featured in the coverage of the Center for Jewish Interfaith and Outreach for the North Shore Boston area launch
- December 7, 2004 KPCW's All Things Considered, the Park City, Utah NPR affiliate's radio show hosted by Ori Hoffer, segment on the December holidays and interfaith families
- August 2004 Anderson Cooper 360, CNN's news analysis TV show, featured InterfaithFamily.com writers Dan and Kamla Koch in a segment on interfaith families
- July 2004 Jewish Perspective, WHDH-TV's show, featured InterfaithFamily.com Board Chair Esta Epstein in a segment
- September 2003 Jewish Perspective, WHDH-TV's show, featured Edmund Case in a segment
Reform synagogues are often called "temple." "The Temple" refers to either the First Temple, built by King Solomon in 957 BCE in Jerusalem, or the Second Temple, which replaced the First Temple and stood on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem from 516 BCE to 70 CE.
The first five books of the Hebrew Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy), or the scroll that contains them.
Welcome to InterfaithFamily!
We depend on readers like you to support the work we do online and in the community.