New flicks with celebs in interfaith relationships and from interfaith backgrounds, plus their baby news!Go To Pop Culture
Salad is an interesting dish, but we often think of it in its humblest form: the side salad with a few¬†leaves of lettuce and maybe a few add-ons¬†soaked in¬†dressing. In reality though, salad can be a hundred different dishes. There are salads with grains, salads with noodles, salads that are grilled, salads topped with steak or salmon. In North America, we typically think of salads with lettuce or greens, but Israeli salads are usually perfectly cubed vegetables like sweet, slightly acidic tomatoes (technically a fruit!), refreshing cucumbers, a little onion if you like and maybe some peppers.
This Orzo salad is a twist on a classic Israeli salad of chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. The Italian rice-like pasta orzo is added in with the vegetables, and a pesto of parsley, almonds and feta creates the sauce and seasoning for this tasty summer salad. Pesto¬†comes from the Italian word pestare,¬†which means to crush. A pesto is a delicious paste of crushed herbs and and spices. For this salad¬†you can add in any additional vegetables you like.
Israeli Orzo Salad
1. ¬†In a large pot, boil water and add a tablespoon of salt.
2. ¬†While the water is boiling, wash and dry your parsley. Add your parsley, blanched almonds, garlic and a 1/4 pound of the feta to a blender or food processor. Add in 1/4 cup of olive oil. Pur√©e together to make your pesto.
3. ¬†Once the water comes to a boil, cook the orzo as directed on the box (about 7-9 minutes usually).
5. ¬†While the pasta cools to room temperature, wash a cut your vegetables. You want the tomatoes, cucumber and optional green pepper to be about 1/- inch cubes.
6. ¬†Once the orzo has cooled, toss in all the vegetables. Toss in the zest of one lemon and the rest of the pesto. Crumble the rest of the feta cheese (or less to taste) over the top of the salad and sprinkle on the olives (optional).
This salad makes a perfect lunch alone, or serve with some grilled fish or meat for dinner.