By Mari Levine
Serving someone breakfast in bed is a terrific, thoughtful idea. But it has some logistical issues, including stealthily preparing the meal so your light-sleeping target doesn’t arouse, and, if you accomplish that, anxiously watching them try to balance a plate full of pancakes in bed without causing a mess. Yes, it’s the thought that counts, but you don’t want that thought to be tinged with inconvenience.
This quick recipe satisfies a loved one’s sweet tooth and takes only minutes to prepare. Each piece is bite-sized, so the mess—both in the kitchen and in bed—is minimal. It’s a nice way to express your appreciation sweetly and neatly!
- 4 (9-inch) flour wraps
- 6 tablespoons Nutella
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 8 strawberries, quartered
- Confectioners’ sugar
1. Spread 1½ tablespoons Nutella into thin layer over each wrap, leaving ½-inch border. Roll each wrap and flatten slightly. Brush one side of each roll with melted butter.
2. Heat 12-inch nonstick pan over medium heat. Add rolls, buttered-side and seam-side down, and lightly flatten with metal spatula. Cook until wrap is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Brush tops with remaining butter and flip. Cook until second side is golden brown, another 2 minutes. Transfer to cutting board.
3. Using chef’s knife, cut each wrap crosswise into 8 even pieces. Place strawberry quarter on top of each bite and spear with toothpick. Using fine-mesh strainer, sprinkle confectioners’ sugar over top. Serve.
Reprinted with permission from JewishBoston.com. Chosen Eats appears every Thursday on JewishBoston.com.