- Temple Chayai Shalom was started as a Conservative synagogue in 1976, by eight families looking to give their children a Jewish education in Easton. In 1977, they purchased the building at 9 Mechanic Street, which had been used continuously as a House of Worship since 1845 when it was located on the Rockery. (In 1855, it was moved by oxen and wagon to its site on Mechanic Street). In 1992, we purchased the house next door, adding classroom space and offices for the Rabbi and Educational Director. In 1993, the decision was made to affiliate with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the Reform movement. By this time, we had grown from student rabbis and volunteer educational directors to ordained rabbis and professional educators. Our youth program had grown from a parent run program to a professionally staffed program with a junior and a senior youth group, affiliated with NFTY. Since then, the congregation has grown as a central meeting place for the Jewish people of Easton and its surrounding communities. To accommodate its growth, in November of 1995, we purchased the building at 239 Depot Street. Dedication ceremonies were held in June, 1996. We invite you to join us at our current home.