Shabbat and Other Holidays
Shabbat and some of the neglected holidays — Sukkot, Shavuot, Tu Bishvat — can be great ways to introduce Jewish partners to the beauty of Judaism. The Purim story even features an intermarried Jew as its heroine! Learn how to make these other holidays part of your intermarried life in InterfaithFamily.com's archive of articles, resources and external links.
Shabbat (every week - Friday evening through Saturday night)
- Learn all about the weekly holiday on our Shabbat Resource Page.
Sukkot and Simchat Torah
- Learn all about the holiday on our Sukkot and Simchat Torah Resource Page.
Tu Bishvat (February 8, 2012)
- Learn all about the holiday on our Tu Bishvat Resource Page
Purim (March 8, 2012)
- Learn all about the holiday on our Purim Resource Page.
Shavuot (May 27, 2012)
- Learn all about the holiday on our Shavuot Resource Page.
Documents on Shabbat and Other Holidays
- The Jewish Holidays Cheat Sheet
- Guide to Shabbat for Interfaith Families (also available as a PDF and Word format)
- A Shabbat Guide for Your Group of Friends
- Shabbat: Coming Together as a Community (a downloadable booklet)
Shabbat and Other Holidays Articles
|1.||Share the Love on Tu B'Av - By Elizabeth Freid Vocke|
|2.||Shabbat Dinner - Video - By InterfaithFamily|
|3.||Transition: Janelle's Story - By Debra B. Darvick|
|4.||If the Book of Ruth Were Written Today - By Rabbi Steven J. Lebow|
|See more articles|
|1.||Jewish Greetings Cheat Sheet - By InterfaithFamily|
|2.||Jewish Food Cheat Sheet - By InterfaithFamily|
|3.||Shavuot: Days of Cheese and Roses - By Ruth Abrams|
|4.||Sharing Shabbat With My Non-Religious (and Patient) Husband - By Chana-Esther Dayan|
Shabbat and Other Holidays Article Archive
Shabbat and Other Holidays Discussion Board
Additional Resources on Celebrating Shabbat and Other Holidays
Visit our partner MyJewishLearning.com for more information:
Friedland, Ronnie and Case, Edmund, ed. The Guide to Jewish Interfaith Family Life: An InterfaithFamily.com Handbook. Jewish Lights, 2001. Read a review.
Strassfeld, Michael. The Jewish Holidays: A Guide and Commentary. HarperCollins, 1985. In addition to in-depth discussion of each holiday, this book includes commentaries, ideas for family holiday involvement, and suggestions for new traditions.
- Cox, Harvey. Common Prayers: Faith, Family, and a Christian's Journey Through the Jewish Year. Houghton Mifflin, 2001. Read our review.
If you know of other resources on Shabbat and other holidays — or if you'd like to see additional resources on a particular aspect of Shabbat or other holidays — please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what you'd like us to provide.