Downton Abbey Portrays Reality of Interfaith RelationshipsBy Gerri Miller
Go inside Season 5 Episode 9 where the story line of Atticus and Rose's interfaith relationship comes to a head.Go To Pop Culture
Questions to the Participants
Free Association Exercise
Hilchot De'ot: The discussion about welcoming is ancient
Clarifying goals for children of interfaith families and creating a policy that brings your goals into the classroom. What will be the policy for your school for these situations:
Interfaith Families Are Not the Same
- Talk of Christmas/Easter?
- Talk of going to church?
- Talk of being "half and half"?
- Talk of a parent/grandparent/relative not being Jewish?
- Talk of Christian prayer in the home, like the Lord's Prayer? Mention of Jesus?
- Saying that the family does not do the ritual/tradition about which the class is learning?
Creating talking points for teachers when a child says:
- "I am only half Jewish."
- "We have a Hanukkah bush" or "a tree with Jewish ornaments" or "hang stockings in my house."
- "Who is more important, Jesus or Moses?"
Bulletins and Welcome Letter Analysis
Developmental stages and their implications for the classroom
Texts for classroom use that deepen Jewish identity formation
Games for the classroom that deepen Jewish identity formation.
- What changes do you want to make at your school?
- What obstacles do you see in getting these changes made?
- What alliances do you need to accomplish these changes?
- When do you hope to have these changes accomplished?
- Who will be responsible for getting the changes done?