Downton Abbey Portrays Reality of Interfaith RelationshipsBy Gerri Miller
Go inside Season 5 Episode 9 where the story line of Atticus and Rose's interfaith relationship comes to a head.Go To Pop Culture
April 2, 2014
This article is reprinted with permission from JewishBoston.com.
By Mari Levine
I’ve made this cod cake recipe several times, and it’s always a crowd-pleaser. But with bread used as the binder, it was prohibited for Passover. So instead of sandwich bread, I ground up a few pieces of matzah in the food processor and made my own “bread” crumbs. They do a great job of soaking up the liquid and keeping the cakes together.
Fresh Cod Cakes
Makes 10 cakes
3 squares matzah
1 celery rib, roughly chopped
2 scallions, roughly chopped
½ onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 pound skinless cod fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Lemon wedges, for serving
1. In food processor, pulse matzah until the largest pieces are pea-sized. Transfer ½ cup processed matzah to large mixing bowl, and the remaining matzah pieces to a shallow dinner plate. Season the matzah in the plate with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir to combine.
2. Transfer celery, scallions and onion to now-empty food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped into small pieces, about five one-second pulses. Transfer vegetables to mixing bowl with matzah and stir in parsley.
3. Transfer cod pieces to now-empty food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped into ¼-inch pieces, about two one-second pulses. Transfer to mixing bowl with matzah mixture. Add egg, lemon juice, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Stir gently until combined.
4. Use ⅓ measure cup to divide mixture into scoops. Shape into 1-inch thick, 3-inch wide patties and set on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. When ready to cook, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. While oil is heating, dip each cake in seasoned matzah, using hands to make matzah adhere.
6. Place five cakes in pan and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes, turning over halfway through. Once first batch is cooked, wipe out pan and repeat cooking process with remaining cakes, replacing oil. Serve with lemon wedges.