Secular Humanist Judaism
Secular Jews define Judaism as the history, culture, books, music, art, food, rituals and practices of the Jewish people. Secular Judaism, whether practiced through the reading of Jewish books, membership in a branch of Workmen's Circle or attendance at a Secular Humanistic congregation, is an appealing option for many interfaith families, both for those families that do not believe in God and those looking for a religious space that does not discuss theology. The following is a list of helpful resources and links for interfaith families exploring secular Judaism.
Recommended Articles on Secular Judaism
- The I Do's and Don'ts of Intercultural Marriage by Rebecca R. Kahlenberg
- Cultural Judaism Opens the Door for Alienated Jews by Myrna Baron
- Why We Call them Intercultural Weddings: a Secular Humanistic Jewish Approach by Miriam Jerris
- Tribal vs. Covenantal Identity by Sidney Schwarz
- It's All About the Food by Sue Feder
Secular Judaism Articles Archive
Helpful Documents for Interfaith Families Exploring Secular Judaism
- Liturgical Interpretation by Secular Humanistic Judaism - examples and explanations
- Readings and Rituals for Jewish Life Cycle Events and Holidays - from the Center for Cultural Judaism
- Descriptions of How Secular Humanism Sees Jewish Holidays - from the Society for Humanistic Judaism
- History and Readings for Jewish Holidays - from the Congress of Secular Humanistic Organizations
Find a Secular Jewish Organization or Congregation in Your Area
All secular Jewish organizations are very welcoming to interfaith and intercultural couples and families.
International Federation of Secular Humanistic Jews - Searchable index of secular Jewish organizations throughout the world. Similar to this list on the Center for Cultural Judaism's website.
Society for Humanistic Judaism - List of Humanistic Jewish congregations in the U.S. and Canada organized by region
Congress of Secular Jewish Organizations - List of secular Jewish organizations and schools in the U.S., Canada and England
Workmen's Circle - List of Workmen's Circle branches in the U.S.
Secular organizations - find secular organizations and Humanistic Jewish congregations in the U.S. with calendar of events for interfaith families
Additional Resources on Secular Judaism
There are several major secular Jewish organizations:
Center for Cultural Judaism - New York City-based center that offers educational and outreach programs to secular Jews
Congress of Secular Jewish Organizations - Group of independent organizations that promote a secular expression of their members' Jewish heritage
International Federation of Secular Humanistic Jews - Umbrella organization of secular Jewish organizations around the world
Society for Humanistic Judaism - Central body for the Humanistic Jewish Movement in North America
- Workmen's Circle - Jewish fraternal organization that emphasizes social justice and Yiddish culture